Saturday 10 May 2014

The big day!



So the morning of the op I got up at 5 a.m as I just couldn't sleep and I showered, pottered round and got all my stuff together, the time really dragged and I couldn't wait to leave the house so I got to the hospital 20 minutes early. When I got there the receptionist was lovely, she wished me luck and put me at ease. I settled the final bill and went over to the inpatients ward. I had my obs taken straight away, BP was fine, heart rate a little low as usual but that's because I exercise a fair bit.

I got taken to a bed on the ward pretty quickly and given my gown and paper knickers to change into.


Pretty soon after the surgeon came to see me and we went over what I wanted doing, I had asked his secretary twice to tell him I now wanted open rhinoplasty instead of closed but he hadn't been told. He seemed pleased that I had changed my mind though. He really didn't spend that much time with me but I still felt confident he would do a good job.

I then got given something they called happy pills.... Which actually just made me fall asleep! I woke up an hour or so later and it was time to go to theatre. I wasn't worried about this part as I've had operations before and know what to expect. The anaesthetist told me to try to remember to breathe through my mouth when I woke up and to try not to panic as my nose would be packed with gauze. Before I knew it I was falling under......

"LOUISE, WAKE UP!" (Why do they always feel the need to yell at you when you are coming round") ... pain, blocked nose, slight panic, ears popping, coughing up blood, breathe through mouth.... And relax. I think they gave me some pain relief then and I fell asleep. When I woke up I really wanted water but they would only let me have a sip to freshen my mouth up. My mouth was so dry and my throat was really painful and sore from where I was intubated.

For the next few hours I drifted in and out of sleep. I was given some apple juice and told I could go home when I had drank it. I also got given some biscuits but my mouth and throat were too dry to eat it.

Before I went I was shown how to change the gauze under my nose and given a prescription for 3 types of nasal spray that I will start using when the packs come out in a few days... And paracetamol.... Is that it? I'm sure I will need something stronger than that! Oh and I also got a little jar with all the bits of bone they removed.... Gross! There are a few big chunks there, but I did have lots of nose to remove!

Anyway I was wheeled out and was soon home to my own bed. Still not in a lot of pain, just finding swallowing really uncomfortable as it creates a sort of vacuum in my head that makes my nose bubble and my ears pop! 

Face timed my mum and husband and they were a bit shocked by my black eyes but pleased I'm feeling generally ok. 

I took some pics when I was cleaning my gauze. You can't see the shape of my nose but you can tell already it's much shorter and higher.


I had a bit of ice cream for my dinner and it felt great on my throat, then I got into bed, iced my face with a surgical glove full of ice and put on an audio book. I've been told to expect the swelling and pain to be worse tomorrow.... Not looking forward to that! I have myself propped up on loads of cushions so I am not sure how well I will sleep.

Will update tomorrow x



No comments:

Post a Comment